Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Curse of Ravenscourt Review

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Lissiefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 13th, 2004
    Posts
    161
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This is something of a tough review, but I think it needs to be done, just to let people know.

    I'm an adult, and I liked the book. It's entertaining and pretty well written...

    HOWEVER,

    1) I wouldn't let my 8 year old read it - especially in bed at night. She'd be scared to death! It says on the book ages 9 and up...in our house it would be ages 10 and up or so.

    2) The looking back section at the end of the book is about GHOSTS AND SEANCES. It does make them look like hoaxes, and silly, but it really was not a topic I thought appropriate for my kids. I did a surgical removal before giving my older dd the book.

    I think in spite of the code, I'll be giving the others from this series a good looking over at Barnes and Noble before buying them. I have a very protective mindset, I know. I'm sure for kids that read "Goosebumps" and the like, these books would be nothing, but these are NOT normal AG books.

    I don't normally read an entire book before giving it to my daughters. I'll admit I was prejudiced on this one...the first page I opened it to was the picture of the seance. Not a good sign. [img]graemlins/thinking.gif[/img]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Em10254's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 11th, 2003
    Posts
    49
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You know, that's true- it may not be appropriate for children, BUT it is historically accurate. People in the Edwardian era had an extreme obsession with ghosts and the occult in general- especially people in the upper classes. It was an era of discovery and curiousity, and that meant people were sometimes into odd things like that. Many people were also interested in Egyptology- and some men had actual mummies in their studies- which is REALLY weird by today's standards. It does tie in historically, which is all I'm saying.

    I think that parents need to use discretion with the book, like you did, since certain people's moral and religious beliefs conflict with things like that.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Lissiefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 13th, 2004
    Posts
    161
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Elizabeth,

    I'll agree with you. It's historically accurate, as is Nellie's apparent superstitious nature. I am continually amazed at how many of those superstitions have been unconsciously passed down to this day! (ie: 13th floor missing on buildings, the saying "knock on wood"...etc)

    My question is neither whether they existed, nor even whether it's ok to tell children about them. I just question whether an AG book was the place to do it.

    I was surprised, that's all.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Pat B's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 10th, 2002
    Posts
    321
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think that the mysteries are intended to expand interest in AGs beyond the target age. The description of the conditions in the tenaments would be more disturbing to a young child than the curse and superstitions. Fairy tales and legends are loaded with such things.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Samantha_Nellie_Felicity's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 2nd, 2005
    Posts
    219
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I LOVELOVELOVELOVED that book! I got it on friday, and i was planning to space it out so i didnt finish it too quick, but i went on and finished yesterday. I loved it! I thought Sarah Masters Buckey did a great job!

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Momof2agfans's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 4th, 2004
    Posts
    149
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thank you so much for the heads up! My 9-year old DD wanted to get this book. I was going to code it for Easter. I never would have thought to pre-read an AG book. She won't even go into her older sisters room, because of the goosebump books. She's even afraid of the covers. She had nightmares for months when she was 3 about Barkley the dog in Sesame Street.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member adriana82's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12th, 2004
    Posts
    158
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm reading Kit's mystery right now. I'll let you know soon! I'm also finishing up "Alphabet City Ballet" - the "other" Marisol book. [img]wink.gif[/img]

  8. #8
    Inactive Member PrincessRuthie's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 19th, 2004
    Posts
    2,054
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I haven't read any, yet, but only because I haven't gotten them. I still have to read all of the GOML books!


    And, a note about seances, I like that kind of stuff. It's interesting, but a tad bit scary. I can imagine that younger kids might be frightened. I did see a Babysitter's Club video about them holding a seance, and of course the movie, Ghost, had one. Can't wait to read the mysteries, though! [img]wink.gif[/img]

  9. #9
    HB Forum Owner rebecca191's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 7th, 2005
    Posts
    93
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    This book would not have bothered me as a kid. I was scared of some things but not the kinds of things mentioned in this book.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member vew-tori's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,258
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for the reminder. I had a problem with the HSH book Teasing Trouble's view on the Tooth Fairy. I said I'd read it first after that but I lasped with Addy's books. We were so worried about Little Ester. I needed the heads up on these. Anyone read Molly's?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •